Ofsted: Plans from January 2021
Ofsted have now released plans for a phased return to inspection from January 2021. Further details are below, but in summary:
From January 2021:
- Schools – assurance visits/monitoring inspections to resume.
- Social care – Focused Visits to resume
- SEND – interim visits with CQC to resume
From April 2021:
- Schools – routine inspections to resume in summer term • Social care – short/full judgement inspections to resume
- Ofsted are not planning to carry out graded inspections of education or social care providers before the summer term.
Maintained Schools and Academies:
- From January 2021, Ofsted will resume monitoring inspections of schools judged inadequate at their previous inspection and some schools graded as requires improvement. These will not result in a grade.
- Emergency inspections of schools will continue as they have done throughout the pandemic, in response to any serious concerns raised with Ofsted.
- Routine inspections, which result in a school being awarded a new grade or being confirmed in its current grade, will resume in the summer term.
Further Education and Skills:
- From January, Ofsted will resume monitoring visits to providers that would be monitored in normal times – in particular new providers and those graded requires improvement and inadequate.
- Colleges that do not receive a monitoring visit may receive support and assurance visits. Safeguarding visits will continue in response to concerns raised about providers.
- Full graded inspections will resume in the summer term.
- Interim education visits to prisons will start in January, to support and challenge prisons to return to full programmes of education and skills activities following COVID-19 restrictions.
- Ofsted will carry out a programme of assurance inspections from the start of the spring term. These inspections will confirm whether or not a provider is meeting the early years foundation stage (EYFS) requirements.
- Assurance inspections will be proportionate and risk-based. Providers will be prioritised based on the length of time since their last inspection, and any other relevant information.
- Routine graded inspections will resume in the summer term of 2021.
Area Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND):
- From January Ofsted will resume joint interim visits with the Care Quality Commission. These visits aim to support improvement and will not result in a published letter or graded judgement.